Saturday, November 14, 2009

Tasting Notes - Nov 15, 2009

This week I didn't really do any formal tastings but I did have some enjoyable wines, two of which happen to be wines that I've been meaning to try anyways. Lucky day!

St. Francis Chardonnay 2007 $19.95
I discovered this wine from Sonoma last year which would have been the 2006 vintage release. I loved it...people loved it. The cases were flying off the shelves at my local wine shop. This year, the wine is just as good. However, it does have a heavier oak flavour than last year. If you love that big, buttery, oaky California Chardonnay then you'll enjoy this wine. The grapes were sourced mostly from the Russian River valley and the wine aged in both French and American oak. This wine is full-bodied, creamy and feels like golden butter going down. But don't let the oak scare you. It's not so full of oak that you can't enjoy the fruit.

Pierre Amadieu La Grangeliere Vacqueyras 2007 $21.95
This wine is from the Southern region of France, specifically, the Rhone. I think this is one of my favourite wine regions. Vacqueyras is located not to far from the famous Chateauneuf-du-Pape village. I find that wines from Vacqueyras and Gigondas are nice alternatives to the more expensive Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Although, Gignondas wines can be a bit on the expensive side nowadays. This wine is a blend of Grenache and Syrah. 50% of the wine was aged in new oak and you can really tell by the intense aroma.

Amity Vineyards Pinot Noir $23.95
A friend of mine opened this for us girls during a small house-warming get together. Let it sit for a few minutes just after opening and you'll be delighted. It's a nice Pinot Noir from the Willamette Valley in Oregon. Too bad I accidentally knocked over a glass. I hope the floor enjoyed it. This wine is medium-bodied with all those flavours typical of a Pinot Noir such as strawberry, cranberry and cinnamon spice. Oregon is known for their fabulous Pinot Noir. Next time you're in your wine shop, see if you can find something from this region. I don't think that you'll be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment